Legionellosis is caused by Legionella pneumophila and related Legionella bacteria. The severity of the infection varies from a mild febrile illness (Pontiac fever) to a potentially fatal form of pneumonia (Legionnaire’s disease). The main reservoir for Legionella is water and testing of aquatic environments for the presence of waterborne Legionella is implemented in many national standards across the world.
Traditional culture methods are widely used for the detection of Legionella in water samples but these methods are time consuming, often taking up to 2 weeks before a result can be reported.
The BIOTECON microproof® Legionella Quantification LyoKit is a real-time Legionella PCR kit that provides a faster, easier and more precise alternative to culture methods as a Legionella rapid test for water.
- FAST RESULTS IN 4 HOURS - A convenient, complete legionella PCR method including DNA extraction and quantitative real-time PCR analysis within 4 hours directly from the filter.
- 100% SPECIFIC - 43 species (119 strains) successfully detected and fully inclusive for Legionella genus.
- PRECISE - Detection, differentiation and individual quantification of Legionella spp, L. pneumophila and L. pneumophila serogroup 1 in a single test. Results from this legionella PCR method are displayed in genomic units/mL, compliant with ISO 12869:2012.
- SENSITIVE - Limit of quantification is 10 gemonic units, limit of detection is 3 genomic units.
- SAMPLE REQUIREMENTS - This test is suitable for all relevant sample types, both clear and turbid water. Water filtration is performed according to the recommended ISO protocol.
- LIVE / DEAD CELL DIFFERENTIATION - Differentiation of live and dead Legionella cells is performed using BIOTECON Reagent D. This enables the detection and quantification of only the DNA from live waterborne Legionella cells, including the VBNC cells not detected by culture methods.
Oxford Biosystems will provide full training and technical support, including the equipment required to perform this legionella PCR method. Please contact us for more information.